Saturday, October 12, 2019

thyestes upgrade

1518: I'm in the middle of the thyestes upgrade, and running into some problems, I think with systemd configuration causing it to reboot before bringing up the network interface. I have a network serial console so currently assuming I can fix this via systemd rescue (or, worst case, emergency) without requiring a manual intervention from the hosting company, which would of course take much longer.

1620: somewhat struggling with the OVH rescue options right now, because their rescue system boots with a French keyboard and also the root password for the rescue system isn't coming through to gmail for some reason. I did get thyestes to boot once or twice, suggesting that something weird is going on with systemd (what a surprise), but I'm hopeful I can reboot it now into systemd rescue and maybe figure out what's going on. (Remembering to disable OVH monitoring so it won't auto-reboot the machine should help.)

1706: turns out the entire problem was that systemd runs very very slowly if you put the kernel console parameters in a particular order (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=763601). Changing that fixes it. I'm going to delay the upgrade again, but try to complete the network interface renaming to consistent names today.

No comments: